We are in search of someone with an interest in bugs, a passion for sustainable protein, and attention to detail. Duties include watering and feeding the crickets, cleaning the boxes in which they live, harvesting and transferring cricket eggs and 'pinheads' (newly-hatched crickets) to and from the nursery, and helping with the harvest.
Our cricket farm is inside a warehouse on three levels of pallet racking; the temperature is 86 degrees year-round. In the company of the friendly sound of constant cricket chirping, this is a physical job in the heat that requires standing, lifting, reaching, and climbing up and down ladders. Accurate record keeping and attention to detail are key requirements.
• 16 hours per week
• Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday -- 4 hours per day
• Time of day for shifts is somewhat flexible
REPORTS TO: Steve Swanson, Cricket Whisperer, and Steve Hood, President
START DATE: As soon as possible
Responsibilities (to include, but not limited to!)
• Watering -- clean and re-fill watering trays
• Handle baby crickets ('pinheads') -- move them from the nursery to the farm
• Maintain accurate records -- record dates, weights, and work performed
• Perform occasional other tasks as needed
You're the ideal candidate if you're:
• Passionate about health, wellness and environmental sustainability;
• Enthusiastic about entomology and entomophagy (eating bugs) (or ready to become so!);
• Interested in a working in a physical job;
• Like being in the heat;
• Detail oriented and careful;
• Absolutely reliable
• Able to work on your feet throughout your entire shift
• Able to lift and move boxes weighing 25-35 pounds
• Have good balance: Comfortable working on an 8' ladder and from a 12' electric lift
• Can tolerate -- thrive in! -- constant 86 degree heat
• Farming experience
• Lab experience
Potential for growth: This is a new position in a new company, and we're growing rapidly. For those who are interested, job responsibilities and hours may grow and evolve within a few months to a year.
TO APPLY: Send cover note and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
In your note, tell us why you're interested in working with crickets!
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. We will fill the position when the right candidate is found.